PLEASE READ ENTIRE PACK CAREFULLY TO ENSURE YOU FULFILL ALL REQUIREMENTS BEFORE APPLYING FOR AN AUDITION.
PRIMA presents Shrek the Musical
Director: Miranda Selwood
Musical Director: Hayley Marsh
Choreographer: Taylor Davidson
Saturday 9th June 10am – 8pm
Sunday 10th June 1pm – 6pm
Tuesday 12th June 7pm - 10pm
Sunday 10th June
General Dance Call 10am
Advanced Dance Call 11am
Callbacks if required
Thursday 14th June 7:30pm
THESE AUDITION DATES ARE FOR ADULT ROLES ONLY. Child auditions will occur on Sunday 22nd July and will be announced following the adult auditions.
Strathpine Community Centre (Cnr Mecklam st and gympie rd Strathpine)
• Auditionees will be scheduled in small groups.
• Please allow up to 90 mins to complete your audition.
• All auditionees will be required to sing individually and may be given a cold-read script.
• All auditionees are requested to also sign up for either the general dance call or advanced dance call on Sunday 10th June from 10am. If you are not available for a dance call, please advise us when booking your audition.
• If you are required for a call-back you will be informed no later than 9am Tuesday 12th June. If you are not available for the call-back session, please advise us when booking your audition.
*TUESDAY 12th OPEN CALL - 12th June 7pm - 10pm, this will be run as a group audition (both dance and vocal) please allow up to 3 hours for the call.
What to bring to your audition
Please bring two copies of your CV, and a colour headshot minimum size 5x7 to your audition. This helps us know more about you, and remember who you are! These will not be returned to you.
• Please prepare excerpts from two contrasting musical theatre songs. One excerpt should be a comedic character song. Please do not present songs from the show.
• You should prepare approx. 16-32 bars of each song (no more than 2mins). The panel may hear one or both songs at the audition. With this in mind, please make appropriate cuts to your songs and choose excerpts which best demonstrate your abilities.
• Please ensure you provide sheet music in the correct key, clearly marked with any cuts/changes, in a plastic folder or taped together.
• Acapella auditions and backing tracks will not be accepted. An accompanist will be provided, or you are welcome to bring your own.
• Be prepared to be stopped part-way through your song, and to work with the Director and/or Music Director
• You may also be requested to complete a range test
• You will be given a short script segment to prepare briefly.
• The segment may be solo or with a scene partner.
DANCE CALL PREPARATION (Sunday 10am/11am)
What to bring to your dance call
Please wear clothing suitable for movement (no jeans please), and any dance shoes (jazz, tap, chorus) that you have. Make sure you bring a water bottle!
• Auditionees will be taught a short dance segment, with options for various levels of ability.
• Once taught, the dance will be seen in small groups.
• Experienced dancers please wear dance shoes.
• The advanced dance call may include a segment of tap dance.
• Those required for callbacks will be provided with short excerpts of scenes and songs to prepare.
• Material is not required to be from memory but it is recommended that you become as familiar with it as you can in the time given.
You will be requested to advise us at auditions of any rehearsal dates for which you cannot be available, so please check all the dates and note this before your arrival. Availability for rehearsals is an expectation and unavailability will be taken into consideration when casting. Please be honest – failure to disclose unavailability before casting may affect your role in the show after casting.
Lawnton Showgrounds - 757 Gympie Rd, Lawnton
Strathpine Community Centre - 199 Gympie Rd, Strathpine
There will be a full cast read-through and introduction session on Sunday 17 June 1pm – 5pm
Rehearsals commence Sunday 8 July 1pm – 6pm; and then run every:
• Tuesday 6.30pm - 9.30pm
• Thursday 6.30pm - 9.30pm
• Sunday 1pm - 6pm
Additional or extended rehearsals may be required in the two weeks prior to bump in.
A full schedule will be made available at the first rehearsal.
Promotions and photos will be organized from time-to-time and may be in addition to rehearsal dates/times. We will endeavor to give you as much prior notice as we can, and ask that you make yourself available for as many of these opportunities as possible.
All cast members MUST be available for all technical rehearsals and performance dates.
Redcliffe Cultural Centre – Downs St, Redcliffe
Monday 1st Oct – Bump In/Tech run
Tuesday 2nd Oct – TECH/DRESS
Wednesday 3rd Oct – FINAL DRESS
Thursday 4th Oct –PREVIEW
Friday 5th Oct 7:30pm
Saturday 6th Oct 2pm
Saturday 6th Oct 7:30pm
Sunday 7th Oct 2pm
Friday 12th Oct 2pm *NOTE: THIS IS A WORKDAY PERFORMANCE DURING SCHOOL TERM*
Friday 12th Oct 7:30pm
Saturday 13th Oct 2pm
Saturday 13th Oct 7:30pm
Sunday 14th Oct 2pm (ALL required for Bump Out after show)
Possible performances could be opened on Thursday 11th October and Sunday evenings. Please ensure you are also available for these dates and times.
To be part of PRIMA's production of Shrek you must be a financial member.
The annual membership fee is $40 and the production fee for Shrek is $60. These costs are compulsory. There will be an additional fee if you would like a show T-Shirt.
You are required to pay these costs no later than the third rehearsal (10 July) unless otherwise organized with the Prima committee; otherwise your position in the cast may be forfeited.
PLEASE NOTE: Ages are a guide only and gender may be flexible for some roles; please audition for the roles you think you are most suitable. Role-doubling and allocation of minor roles within the ensemble is at the discretion of the production team.
Our story's title character. A big, green, terrifying ogre who lives alone on a swamp. He embarks on a journey to rid his land of fairytale creatures and, along the way, falls in love with Fiona. Begins as a grumpy hermit but reveals his layers and eventually becomes the hero. Great comic timing and stamina needed, a Scottish accent is a plus.
Age: 25 to 45
Vocal range A2- G#4
The beautiful princess of Far Far Away, she transforms into an ogre every night when the sun sets. Rescued by Shrek and eventually falls in love with him. Quirky, blunt, and multitalented, she is not an ordinary princess. Strong singer and dancer needed.
Age: 25 to 35
Vocal range F3-G6
A talking donkey who joins Shrek on the run from Farquaad's guards. Quite the chatterbox, he is not deterred by Shrek's looks and practically forces himself into his good graces. Easily frightened and pushy, but also an optimistic with heart.
Age: 20 to 35
Vocal range C3- B4
The comically short, ruthless ruler of Duloc. He is in search of a princess to marry so that he can become king. Has an intensely unfair bias against fairytale creatures that stems from a resentment of his father. Self-absorbed, lonely, and cruel.
Age: 30 to 45
Vocal range B2- D5
A dragon that has been charged with guarding Princess Fiona in her isolated castle. She eventually falls in love with Donkey and attempts to keep him there forever. Imposing and flirtatious, but tired of her job as the glorified baby-sitter.
Age: 25 to 45
Vocal range F3- Eb5
A gingerbread man initially kidnapped by Lord Farquaad. His wit and resolution help him both avoid trouble and inspire the rest of the fairytale creatures. Puppeteer skills an advantage. Also part of the ensemble.
Gender: female* (casting flexible)
Age: 20 to 40
Vocal range B3- C#5
The leader of the fairytale creatures. He is an animated puppet whose nose grows every time he lies. Plenty of sass with a penchant for lying. Also part of the ensemble.
Gender: male* (casting flexible)
Vocal range E3- F#4
Famous adversary of Little Red Riding Hood. Also part of the ensemble.
Vocal range E3- F#4
Strong singer required. Also part of the ensemble.
Vocal range top A3- C5
Strong singer required. Also part of the ensemble.
Vocal range top C2-E4
Fairytale Creatures (Three Little Pigs, White Rabbit, Fairy Godmother, Peter Pan, Wicked Witch, Ugly Duckling, Three Bears, Mad Hatter, Humpty Dumpty, Elf, Three Blind Mice); Angry Mob; Happy People; Guards; Knights; Rats
*All above roles are open to those aged 16+. For children's auditions please see below.
Young Fiona *TO BE CAST AT CHILD AUDITIONS AT LATER DATE*
Young Fiona is a younger version of Fiona and requires a solid singing voice.
Teen Fiona *TO BE CAST AT CHILD AUDITIONS AT LATER DATE*
Teen Fiona is a teen version of Fiona and requires a strong singing voice.
Little Shrek *TO BE CAST AT CHILD AUDITIONS AT LATER DATE*
A role just right for a smaller, younger performer who is new to the stage. He may not have lines but he is very important to the storytelling.
Children may be double-cast and also cover the following:
Baby Bear, Dwarf, Fairytale Creatures.